Symantec Report Shows 82% Of Social Media Attacks Are Fake Offerings
The monthly Symantec Intelligence Report identifies their latest analysis of the security landscape concerning malware, spam, and other cyber threats. There are several interesting facts identified in this report.
- 82 percent of all social media attacks so far in 2013 have been fake offerings. This is up from 56 percent in 2012.
- The global phishing rate is up in August, comprising 1 in every 625 email messages. In July this rate was 1 in 736.
- Financial themes continue to be the most frequent subject matter of phishing scams, at 66.8 percent of all phishing scams use this theme.
- Japan tops the list of sources of phishing emails, responsible for distributing 55 percent of phishing scams.
- The Public Sector was the most targeted industry in August, with 1 in every 76.7 emails received in this industry being a phishing scam.
Visit our Phishing Fact
pages for useful information on the threat of phishing and phishing prevention information.
If you have any questions or comments, or want to learn how you can test employees’ susceptibility to phishing attacks, please contact us.